Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Year of the Dragon

We are BACK. It's official. I'm a Shanghai resident, well for 90 days at a time, legally, that is. My month long escapade of living out of a suitcase and jumping between West Palm, Wilmington and NYC has come to a close and 398 Da Gu Road has become home, just like that. After arriving Monday evening and sleeping through most of Tuesday, by Wednesday I was ready to hop back on the proverbial Chinese horse... er, dragon (it's almost CNY, Chinese New Year, folks, and coincidentally the year of the aforementioned creature). With a few comforts of home in tow, most notably Essa bagels -- thanks Mr. & Mrs. H...which I just remembered there's a few still preserved in the freezer, nom nom, 2012 high-glitter sunglass swag (see below, very popular with the locals, made in China, go fig but no where to be found here) and Christmas loot a-plenty, we were ready to ease back into our eastern lives.



...And may I say HAPPY NEW YEAR! (Yes about three weeks late in America, but hey, I'm about one week early in China, so it evens out). As I mentioned above, 2012 is the year of the dragon. Roar. This creature is supposed to bring 365 days of happiness, luck and fertility... mmk. Spare me the latter (for now) China! This got me thinking about what animal I supposedly embody...

1986: TIGER: You are sensitive, emotional, and capable of great love. However, you have a tendency to get carried away and be stubborn about what you think is right; often seen as a "Hothead" or rebel. Your sign shows you would be excellent as a boss, explorer, race car driver, or matador. 
Some of my closest friends have always said if I were an animal I'd be a lion (Anna and Erin, I'm talking to you), the hair, or more appropriately the mane, I can see it. And lion/tiger, eh, close enough. Not to mention I'd be excellent as a matador? Done and done. I've been looking for a new career path... 


And Anthony's while I'm at it...
1984: Rat (sorry babe, the Chinese said it, not me): You are imaginative, charming, and truly generous to the person you love. However, you have a tendency to be quick-tempered and overly critical. You are also inclined to be somewhat of an opportunist. Born under this sign, you should be happy in sales or as a writer, critic, or publicist.
AH's animal sign is so accurate it's uncanny. Really. Those wise little Chinese got it so right again.


Check what animal you are (it's fun, I promise):
http://www.chinatoday.com/culture/zodiac/zodiac.htm


I'll leave you with some sights I've captured around China over the past two weeks with my new Canon Rebel T3i (Christmas gift from the Rat! I'm obsessed). We're off to try Bella Napoli http://www.bellanapoli-sh.com/?c=3 (with a couple from Detriot, MI, what up America!) and hopefully force ourselves into a carbohydrate coma.


CNY stalls (and Papa John's in the background)
Just fish for sale... on the street
CNY explodes
No trumpets in China?

Animal furs all around

Until next time
xoxo,
J

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say we've been calling you lion since you had hair, girlfriend.

    xo
    Venessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than right... but wasn't that more a mixture of my overall loudness and propensity to make odd noises combined with the hair? Early on I didn't want to embrace it, but now I have no choice!

      Love you!

      Delete